I caught this list on Rich Furman’s Blog “Write, Publish, Thrive!”
Like many lists of this sort, the purpose is to help you reflect a bit, and make some decisions for yourself. I could have come up with more, and debated the importance, but I have some other writing to do!
Here is my edited version.
- Write every day.
- Read good academic writers.
- Work on emotional, behavioral, and cognitive impediments to daily writing.
- Create writing rituals that encourage your fidelity.
- Write before you do your email, check your twitter and facebook, or listen to the news.
- Select the journal and the word count for your article prior to starting.
- Find the exemplar for each piece and return to it as often as necessary.
- Develop process goals.
- Trust your process goals.
- Find the help and support that you need to make changes. Mentor. Supervisor. Therapist. Coach. Editor. Priest. Rabbi. Shaman. Guru. Imam. Dog. Cat.